Use the Measure app to get estimates for point to point distances and area. The laser assisted distance measure helps you to easily calculate materials and costs.
Important: This tool is intended to provide good quality distance estimates, not precise measurements. It uses the alignment of the camera and the built-in laser to get a distance value - so, accuracy depends on the phone being held parallel to the surface on which the laser is being directed, and on the calibration between the laser dot and the camera.
Calibrating the Measure app
1. The first time you launch the Measure app you will be asked to calibrate it. The best way to do this is to lay your phone on its back at the edge of a table. Use a tape measure to measure the distance from the floor to the phone, and input the details into the app.
2. Next, the camera will attempt to detect the red laser dot on the floor. A small green box should appear around the laser dot on the screen, indicating that it has been found. If not, simply tap on the laser dot to manually identify.
3. Now, tap the Capture button. A magnified view of the laser dot will appear with a crosshair at the centre. Ensure the dot is in the middle of this crosshair by dragging the image as required, and press the Capture button again to confirm and complete calibration.
How to measure a floor area
1. Place your phone flat and square against the first wall you would like to measure from.
Important: Be careful not to shine the laser in your eye when you turn your phone around.
2. To take the measurement, push either the up or down Volume button. When the measurement has been captured, the laser will turn off. The recorded distance is displayed on the left side of the screen.
3. Repeat with the adjacent wall.
4. Finally, multiply the two distances to calculate the floor area.
Tip: Use this function to estimate how many tiles you need for a room.
Taking measurements from within a photo
Note: Measurement area options are: square, triangle or line. For example, if you were looking to tile a specific section of a wall, use the square area option.
1. Capture the Distance measurement, then select the Area measurement option.
2. A green box will appear. Use your finger to drag the corners to fit the area you want to measure.
3. A magnified view of each corner will help you fine-tune the point you have selected.
4. The distance of each length is displayed along the line with the area shown in the middle.
5. You can change the units of measure in the Settings menu.
For more information on how to use the laser assisted distance measure, visit the Cat® Phones YouTube channel